Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is it a bug or a hat!

Most of you never had the privilege to met my Grandma Holcomb! She was bigger than life and lived life to the fullest. She also had to be the star of the show. One of my favorite memories of my Grandma and Grandpa was a trip where they were bring me back home after staying with them in Denver.

Now, my little Grandma dressed to the nines. I mean purse, shoes, gloves and hats matched. Sunglasses and jewelry matched. She always wore fabulous clothing. She always had her make-up on and every hair in place. She would spend hours shopping. My little Grandpa would patiently sit out in the mall on a bench while she shopped. My Grandma would be sliding under the gates of the stores as they closed for the night with shopping bags in hand.

So, on this trip back home she was dressed up as usual. Cute little suit, jewelry, sunglasses and a hat the size of Kentucky Fried Chicken Bucket. Both my Grandparents smoked so they had the windows rolled down as we crossed the Kansas Plains. A gust of wind caught my Grandmother's hat and blew it right in front of my Grandpa.

He could of grab it and been her hero for the day, but instead he shooed it right out his window. Grandma looked on in horror as her hat tumbled across the interstate and out across a wheat field. Grandma's eyes narrow and she started yelling at him, "Clifford, why didn't you catch my hat?" Bless my little Grandpa's heart he turns to her a replies, "What hat, Ruthie. I thought it was a bug!" It was green hat after all, so I guess you could confuse a green hat the size of a chicken bucket with a bug!

1 comment: